Beef stroganoff. While this beef stroganoff recipe is the classic preparation usually associated with the dish, there are all kinds of fun new twists and streamlined time-savers to be found in Betty's best beef stroganoff. The most amazing Beef Stroganoff you will ever have! An easy beef stroganoff recipe with tender strips of beef and mushrooms cooked in sour cream and served over noodles.
This recipe uses nonfat sour cream to help cut down on the fat content. Beef stroganoff (also known as beef Stroganov) is a famous Russian dish of sauted onions and mushrooms with good portion of beef cuts. Count Stroganoff was a dignitary in the court of Alexander III. You can have Beef stroganoff using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef stroganoff
- It’s 450 g of button mushrooms.
- It’s 1 of small purple onion, chopped.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- It’s 550 g of flank steak, sliced thinly against the grain.
- It’s 4 cups of dry egg noodles.
- It’s 2 cups of beef stock.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
- You need 1/4 cup of sour cream.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of Finely chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish.
Count Stroganoff's chef (who was likely French), created the dish and named it. Make a classic beef stroganoff with steak and mushrooms for a tasty midweek meal. Garnish with parsley and serve with pappardelle pasta or rice. Beef stroganoff is the original family favorite skillet meal.
Beef stroganoff instructions
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pan on high heat. Add the mushrooms and fry until they give up their water and turn brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the mushrooms to a plate..
- Add a fresh splash of veg oil to the pan you used for the mushrooms and turn the heat down to medium-high. Add the onion and garlic. Let sweat for 1 minute. Add the beef and fry until cooked, about 5 minutes. While you wait for the beef, get a large pot of water boiling and throw in the noodles..
- Return the mushrooms to the pan and add the stock. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Make a slurry by whisking the cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water, then add it also. Stir until the sauce starts to thicken, about 1 or 2 minutes. Whisk in the sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Your noodles should be close to cooked by this time. Turn the pan down to low while you wait..
- Drain the noodles well and add them to the pan. Toss well to coat. Sprinkle a little parsley on top when serving..
Why should beef stroganoff come from a box. This delicious beef stroganoff recipe is made with lean beef, beef stock, sour cream, onion, and spices. Complete the meal with a veggie or salad. This traditional Beef Stroganoff recipe is adapted from A Taste of Russia: A Cookbook of Russian Hospitality by Darra Goldstein. Beef stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food.