Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method). How to make the softest Hokkaido japanese milk bread without stand mixer or any machine with Tangzhong method (water roux). The Hokkaido milk bread is a Japanese Bread that. Hokkaido Milk Toast (北海道牛奶麵包) was made with tangzhong (roux), most reliable method to make soft and fluffy breads.
Hokkaido milk toast – Indeed very soft and delicious! These are wonderful ingredients of Hokkaido milk breads. Instructions from Christine's recipe To make Tang Zhong using Christine's method: Mix flour in water (or milk) well without any lumps. You can have Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method) using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method)
- It’s 560 g of bread flour.
- Prepare 70 g of cane sugar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of full fat milk powder (heap full).
- You need 10 g of instant yeast.
- It’s 2 of large eggs.
- It’s 60 g of whipping cream.
- Prepare 40 ml of full cream milk.
- Prepare 160 g of tang zhong.
- It’s 60 g of unsalted butter.
- You need 8 g of salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp of taro essense (optional).
- You need of Tang Zhong ingredients.
- It’s 240 ml of water + 40g bread flour.
Learn how to make the softest fluffiest milk bread using tang zhong and autolyse method. A bread that you can just tear layer by layer. What is the Tang zhong method? (water roux). This gel, added to the rest of the ingredients, should make a uniquely soft.
Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method) step by step
- Make tang zhong first: mix 240ml cold water with 40g bread flour until dissolved. Cook the mixture until boiling. Remove from fire, let cool..
- Mix flour, sugar, milk powder, yeast, tang zhong in the mixing bowl. Break the eggs, mix with cream and milk. Stir well..
- With mixer speed low, add egg mixture into the flour mixture. Let it knead about 10 minutes, then add butter and salt. Keep kneading until window pane appears..
- Put the dough inside a big bowl, cover with cling wrap. Let it rest until double in size. You know it's ready when you poke the dough and it doesn't spring back..
- Divide the dough approx 180g each. Shape into round shape, cover with kitchen towel. Let the ball rest for 15min before shaping into a toast..
- Using the rolling pin, Roll the dough into rectangle, then roll it into cigar shape. Turn 90 degrees, repeat the step again..
- Brush the mold with butter or margarine. Put the dough in. Cover with kitchen towel. Let it rest until double in size again..
- After 30minutes, turn on the oven 180°C. After double in size, brush the top with egg and bake the dough about 35minutes. If the top brown to fast. Cover top with aluminum foil..
- Remove from the oven, and let cool on the cooling rack..
Reportedly you can cover it and keep it in the fridge for a few days before using it, but I baked with it immediately. Hokkaido milk toast is popular Japanese-style bread that is soft, thick, fluffy and addicting. As you know, I love making bread using the tangzhong method, which you can read a little more about here. It takes a little more effort, but the results are worth it. Hokkaido Milk Toast (with or without Tang Zhong).