Stewed Beef. Thick beef stew good eaten from a bowl or poured over biscuits. Choose from slow-cooked beef casseroles, stroganoffs or beef bourguignon for a winning family Warm up with one of our comforting beef stew recipes. Stewed Beef is something I grew up eating.
A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy. Ingredients in a stew can include any combination of vegetables. Beef stew is a cold weather essential. You can cook Stewed Beef using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Stewed Beef
- It’s 1-2 pounds of stewing beef.
- You need 2 tbs of oil.
- It’s 1 of large onion.
- It’s 2 tbs of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 of med green pepper.
- Prepare to taste of Salt, pepper & adobo.
- Prepare 4 cup of beef broth (I used 2 cup berf broth 2 c chicken broth).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare of Optional (to make thicker).
- Prepare 4-6 of red skin potatoes, cut.
- You need 1/4 c of cold water.
- Prepare 3 tbs of corn starch.
Read on to get all the hot deets on this ultra-comforting stew. There's no rule that beef stew needs a thickening agent. These beef stew recipes are filled with vegetables, spices, and other ingredients with tons of flavor to ensure you and your crowd won't be hungry after dinnertime. So snuggle up—beef stew is for dinner.
Stewed Beef step by step
- Turn burner on to medium heat, add olive oil. Add meat, lightly brown on each side..
- Cut/dice/mince, whichever you prefer the green pepper & onion. Once meat is browned add vegetables. Let cook 5 minutes, stir occasionally..
- Add potatoes of desired, garlic, salt, pepper & adobo. Let cook 2 minutes..
- Add broth & bayleaf. Sprinkle a little more adobo. Let come to a simmer. Cover and cook 1 1/2-2hrs, stirring occasionally & lower heat if comes to a heavy boil..
- Optional (to make thicker): Mix corn starch & cold water. Add to pot, stir. Let cook 15 more minutes..
- One on the left is no thickening agent, one on right is with thickening agent. Whichever you prefer. Serve with white rice or mashed potatoes..
Want beef stew with tender and juicy pieces of meat? Don't buy pre-cut "stewing beef." Here's what you need to know, along with results from our tests of the most common choices for beef stew, to get. This simple Beef Stew has tender, melt-in-your-mouth beef with carrots, onions, and potatoes simmered in a rich sauce. It's a hearty and satisfying dinner that you can easily make ahead of time. Try Donal's Irish beef stew or Mary's rich beef stew with mushrooms.