Beef Liver and Onions in Gravy. This recipe will turn liver haters into converts. Season the flour with salt and pepper, and put it in a shallow dish or on a plate. A variation that uses the diet black cherry cola is provided at the end of this recipe.
Check out this Beef Liver and Onions recipe from Lake Geneva Country Meats. We know, beef liver sounds disgusting, but, with this recipe, the lowly beef liver will be transformed into a culinary masterpiece! Beef liver is rich in iron, and is often recommended as a food for people with iron. You can have Beef Liver and Onions in Gravy using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beef Liver and Onions in Gravy
- You need 1 lb. of Beef Livers, cut into pieces.
- Prepare 1 of Yellow Onion, sliced.
- It’s of Self Rising Flour.
- You need 1 tsp. of Garlic Powder.
- You need to taste of Salt and Black Pepper,.
- It’s 3 Cups of Beef Broth.
Beef liver cooked with onions and smothered in gravy is a favourite of mine. I also love to throw in tomatoes at the very end of the cooking process and turn off the heat immediately. Or I also add pineapple cubes for that burst of sweetness that adds a whole new dimension of flavour. This traditional English liver and onions with gravy dish is cooked with bacon and is great served with some parsnip mash and greens.
Beef Liver and Onions in Gravy step by step
- In a bowl add a cup or so of flour, add the garlic powder, and salt and Black Pepper..mix til combined. Set aside. Slice the beef Livers and dredge in the flour mixture. Set aside..
- In a large skillet heat some butter til melted and skillet is hot, then add the sliced onions and saute til your desired preference. Then transfer onions to a plate and keep warm. In the same skillet add a little bit oil and get pan hot…add the Livers and fry for a minute or two on each side. Then add the onions back to the skillet with the livers..
- Add a cup or two of beef broth and make a slurry with a half cup of broth and flour, mix and add to the skillet. Stir then let simmer til gravy is thickened. Then serve immediately…I serve this over Mashed Potatoes or Rice ☺️.
Fry the bacon until crispy and then remove from pan. Fry the garlic and onion in the vegetable oil in the same pan for a few minutes. BEEF LIVER SMOTHERED WITH ONIONS – The Southern Lady Cooks. Beef liver smothered in onions is a favorite at my house. Great recipe for Beef Liver and Onions in Gravy.